Friday, October 10, 2008

My Favorite Directors


People tend to look towards the past when naming their favorite directors:  Truffaut, Antonini, Hitchcock, Wilder, Altman, blah blah blah.  My favorite directors are pretty much exclusively guys that are still alive and working.  It's hard to watch an old movie, years after it was released, and feel the same resonance as something that you see right as it comes out.  Like "Chinatown," which I still think is a masterpiece, but I wonder how it would feel if I saw it in the theatre on opening night, before hearing any cineaste gush about how it's sooo amazing.  Anywho, here are my favorite directors not in random order:

1. Paul Thomas Anderson
2. Alexander Payne
3. Christopher Nolan
4. Terrence Malick
5. Stanley Kubrick (OK, he's an exception)

and then some other directors I also enjoy:

6. Spike Lee
7. Ryan Fleck
8. Scorsese (too popular of a choice, picking him doesn't mean much anymore)
9. Steven Soderbergh
10. Lasse Hallstrom

I'm sure there are a few I'm forgetting, but pretty much my TOP 3 choices represent my truly favorite filmmakers, and really I think PT Anderson is above and beyond any director working today.  I'd love to hear what you all think.

No comments: