Friday, October 10, 2008

30 Rock


So I've started watching 30 Rock on DVD after staying with my friend Phil in DC and hearing him laugh his ass off while watching it.  I decided it couldn't totally suck.  Took a while to get going but it is pretty good and it helps that each episode is under a half hour.  I really like the pacing of the show-- the editing is really fast and Tina Fey and cast are constantly in motion which I think is great.  It takes a few episodes to break through some of the character cliches (Alec Baldwin's robotic boss, Tracy Morgan's zany black guy, and Tina Fey's klutzy, post-feminist workaholic) but it does get to some genuine emotions.  I'm usually not such a fan of woman comedians (forgive me) but Tina Fey plays up the self-deprecation and desperation and I think that's what makes anyone funny.  I'm trying to remember examples of this but I'm not watching it now and I didn't write it down so I don't have an illustrative details.  I have this same problem when it comes to anything I do creatively-- I can come up with concepts but not examples.  Sonofabitch this thing is getting off track.  So the show is pretty good, but not great but I would recommend it.

No comments: